Botox is an injectable treatment used to combat the appearance and formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Wrinkles are formed when muscles under the skin that we use to make expressions cause the skin above to crease. Over time and repetitive motion, the creases stay put. Botox stops the muscles from creasing the skin, allowing the skin to relax and the wrinkle to fade. For those of you who are already familiar with Botox, we've gathered some interesting facts you just might not know about it:
1. Botox is not just used for cosmetic purposes. It can help people who suffer from a wide range of illnesses or disorders, from migraine headaches to weak bladders.
2. Do you sweat too much? Botox can also be used to treat hyperactive sweat glands. Just as the medication blocks the nerves that stimulate wrinkle-forming facial muscles, it can also block over active sweat glands.
3. A combination of dermal fillers and Botox can be used to fill in wrinkles and prevent them from worsening- this is known as a “liquid facelift” and is a great alternative to surgery for those who do not want to deal with the downtime .
4. The percentage of patients who do not respond to Botox is under one percent. That means it is over 99 percent effective in treating wrinkles.
5. The treatment can become more effective over time. Meaning, if you have a few courses of Botox, the muscle memory begins to fade. So once the last treatment fades, your muscles may still refuse to form wrinkles. This is one reason it's a good idea to get more than one course of treatment back to back.
6. Almost any doctor can legally give the injections. However, it can be unsafe to use any doctor, and the results might not be satisfactory. Use a board certified plastic surgeon to be sure you'll get the best results and the safest injections.
7. The effects of the injections will be visible within one to three days. You can actually see the wrinkles relaxing over time.
8. You can use Botox at any age; in fact, it's a good idea to start treatment as early as your 20s or 30s, to prevent deep wrinkle formation before they even start forming.
Again, it is very important to use a board certified surgeon. “Botox parties” are on the rise- parties where people bring in a doctor to your home for Botox treatments. This is dangerous and can lead to complications.