Imagine your lips are a sponge. When exposed to moisture, they absorb the water and plump up, but when dehydrated, they dry out and shrink. As the lips are always exposed, they tend to get dehydrated, especially during the cold, windy winter months.
It's a fact, that naturally rosy, pink lips are appealing to look at, but there are many things that can cause the natural shade of your lips to go darker. Things like sun exposure, UV rays, allergies, smoking, caffeine, and hormonal imbalances can all result in dull looking lips. However, there are many ways to lighten dark lips.
A few tips to help keep your lips looking natural with a healthy pink blush:
- Dark lipsticks may take away the pinkish hue from your lips, ever leading to pigmented lips, so try wearing soft or nude colors.
- Nicotine causes darkening and discolouration of the lips, so if you want pink and healthy lips it's best to quit smoking. Plus it will help to prevent getting smokers lines around the lips.
- Cut down on your coffee and tea intake, as components of caffeine can darken the lips.
- Avoid sun exposure as the sun is known to increase the synthesis of melanin in the body. It's ideal to protect the lips from the harmful UV rays by using lip balms and lipsticks which contain SPF or other sunscreens, to make sure you keep your pink and healthy lips.
- Use good quality cosmetics. Lot's of lipsticks and other artificial cosmetics can cause harm to the lips because of the corrosive chemicals in them. Prolonged use of cheap quality cosmetics can cause pigmentation. Check the expiration date of the cosmetic, as expired products can cause allergies.
- Have a diet rich in vitamins, as vitamins like Vitamin C naturally moisturize the lips.
- Nervous habits, like biting your lips can cause damage to them, making them chapped, or worse, by making them bleed. Try to avoid biting your lips by wearing lipstick as a prevention.
Once the health and condition of your lips is in order, you may want to plump them up. A lip enhancement treatment using dermal fillers is a quick and safe way to give you fuller lips with a natural freshness, and it can also minimize fine lines and wrinkles along the edges of the lips. Most people who are thinking about a lip enhancement procedure want fuller lips that are smooth, plump, wrinkle-free and youthful looking.
Once the dermal filler gets injected, you will see an instant result, with fuller, well-defined, contoured lips. The fillers used are hyaluronic acid based, which is a natural component of the skin, meaning the risk of an adverse reaction to the procedure is very small. Changes in the lip shape can create fullness and can also correct asymmetry. Dermal fillers for the lips are one of the most popular aesthetic treatments available, and are a very quick and easy way to dramatically improve your look. They typically last between 6 – 9 months.