Plastic surgery is an important step in improving your physical appearance and your self-confidence which is why choosing the right plastic surgeon the first time around is vitally important. It can seem like a daunting experience to select a surgeon but it does not have to be stressful. Instead, follow the tips discussed below and you will find yourself with a skilled surgeon that makes you feel comfortable.
1. Check the Qualifications: Always be sure that the plastic surgeon you choose is certified by the appropriate board. In America that is the American Board of Plastic Surgery and in Canada that is the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Many surgeons have other qualifications on top of the certification including specialties that might be relevant to your desired surgery. Either way, be certain that they are accredited in their field.
2. Read the Reviews: Sometimes patients will review their plastic surgeon after their surgery. Conduct an online search to see if you can find any reviews about the surgeon or their practice. Word of mouth is always the best way to determine the effectiveness and skill of any sort of physician and this can be determined through review websites or by talking to friends or family who are past patients.
3. Ask Lots of Questions: Never hesitate to ask your surgeon questions at the consultation. In fact, the more questions you ask the better. You want your physician to answer questions thoroughly and in a way that makes you feel safe and comfortable. Be sure to ask about payment plans, potential risks, and whether or not you are a good candidate. A surgeon who answers honestly and all aspects of the question is a good bet.
4. Bring a Friend: It is always helpful to have a friend or family member along with you when you go to a consultation. Not only will it make you feel more comfortable but it will provide you with a second set of eyes and ears to provide an opinion as to whether or not that is the plastic surgeon for you. Look for a surgeon that shows interest in and answers your company's questions as thoroughly as yours.
5. Listen to Your Gut: Finally, one of the most important steps when choosing a plastic surgeon is to listen to your gut. There are certain doctors who you might just like better than others with no solid reasoning as to why. It is helpful to take into account this gut feeling when you are trying to choose between multiple surgeons that are otherwise identical in terms of credentials, reviews, and capabilities.