Laser hair removal has become a very popular mode of treatment used by people around the world to get rid of unwanted body hair. It is a fast, reliable and effective procedure which offers great results. However, it is a complicated process which needs to be respected by following certain precedencies before and after the sessions, in order to obtain best results.
Precautions to be taken before the sessions
The different precautions that are needed to be taken before a laser hair removal session are as follows:
- You should not get tanned as it can be very harmful and result in white spots in your skin
- You should not opt for waxing or tweezing before 2 to 3 months of starting the treatment
- You should shave the region to be treated, before 24 to 48 hours of starting the session
- If you have herpes (cold sores), it is necessary to treat the infection at least two weeks prior to the laser session. Otherwise, it is appropriate to postpone the session.
- If your skin is highly sensitive you should apply an aesthetic cream about 1 hour before the session.
Precautions to be taken after the sessions
After a laser session, it is not uncommon to see the appearance of transient redness (erythema) or bumps on the skin. They are transient and will disappear within a few minutes or hours after the session is completed. If they do not disappear, you should consult your physician and take proper medicines to treat them. In rare cases, minor burns might also appear. These burns will require specific treatment. Do not hesitate to contact your laser physician about the same.
Sun exposure should be avoided for at least a month after the sessions. You are advised to use a protective sunscreen cream with SPF of 60 and above. If possible, you are advised not to venture out in the sun.
The hair will fall within 2 to 4 weeks after the treatment. However, you should not try to pluck them with the help of tweezers or even your fingers. You should take warm showers and let the hair fall off naturally. After 2 to 3 days of the session, you can use a fragrance free, mild soap on the renovated area. You can immediately return to work after sessions are completed.
It is advisable not to apply any chemicals or cosmetics on the treated area for a few days after the sessions.