Tummy tuck, also referred to as abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure involving the removal of extra sagging skin from the body. Fat deposits are also suppressed and the abdominal muscles tightened. This procedure is very convenient for most people as it can be customized easily to suit the wishes and needs of any individual.
Here are the different types of abdominoplasty surgeries available for patients to choose from:
1. Traditional abdominoplasty
In this type, two incisions are made. The first incision is made horizontally and runs from hip to hip. The second incision is made near the navel. This procedure creates a new belly button and tackles the whole abdomen. At the end of the procedure, excess fat and skin is eliminated and the skin tightened. This type usually goes hand in hand with liposuction. It is the most commonly performed procedure.
2. Endoscopic abdominoplasty
This involves a tiny camera which is attached to a small tube and inserted through a tiny incision. The camera monitors any alterations. This type of abdominoplasty only involves tiny incisions that causes minimal scarring. The procedure is ideal for people who have a small amount of fat and weakened muscles. It can also be used on patients with a small amount of sagging skin.
3. Extended abdominoplasty
Apart from removal of excess fat and skin, this procedure also involves the elimination of love handles. A hip to hip incision is made to create the changes. The scar made will be invisible after this procedure. This type of abdominoplasty takes care of a larger area compared to the traditional type.
4. Mini abdominoplasty
This variety is also known as partial abdominoplasty. It's ideal for people who want changes to be made on their lower abdomen only. A small incision is made in this procedure. The incision helps in removal of excess skin and fat. A new navel is not created, and the recovery time is short and results are impressive.
What are the benefits of Tummy Tucks?
The advantages of having abdominoplasty include:
• Improving self confidence – Many people lose their self esteem when they realize that they have an unattractive large abdomen. Surgery cuts down a lot of fat in the stomach area, leaving you feeling more confident than you were with a bulging stomach.
• Improves your visual presence and reduces stretch marks – If you have a large stomach, abdominoplasty can reduce that. You end up having a thinner waistline, a smoother stomach curve and a flatter, stronger tummy.
• Helps in skin reduction – Colossal folds of sagging skin may cause infections. This procedure helps those people who have undergone liposuction procedures to shed off extra skin, which boosts the removal of extra fat.
The risks associated with abdominoplasty include:
• Blood clotting
When performed by a qualified and experienced surgeon, the surgery does not cause any severe complications. It's therefore essential for you to visit a qualified surgeon to discuss the whole process with you. A good surgeon will also guide you on the most suitable procedure for your condition.